Pumili ka ng trabahong tutugon sa iyong hilig upang higit kang pakinabangan ng iyong bayan.
- Gregoria de Jesus

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First time :l

***FIRST TIME KONG MAKA- ENCOUNTER NG ESTUDYANTENG GANITO. ITO ANG INCIDENT REPORT NA BINIGAY KO SA DEAN. :l


Last Monday, February 28- I went to Room D401, to administer the Prefinal examination (in Filipino I) of BH201P in behalf of Ms Salvaleon.  I initiated the proctoring out of concern and sincere support to a dear colleague.  Upon entering, I saw the students clustered in one corner of the room, so I immediately said that they should arrange their chairs and themselves properly- one seat apart. I had a hard time instructing them what to do because they were very hesitant, they didn’t want to stand and transfer. In fact, I was the one pointing to each student where to settle.I had decided to give the test questions when the seating arrangement was already okay, but I told them not to answer yet because I wanted to explain the direction. While explaining, a student blurted out that, “Eh hindi naman namin na- discuss ‘to eh…wala pong na iturong elemento…”. I got stunned with the reaction of that particular student, but I managed to keep my composure and I just said to her, “Eh di hintayin natin si Ma’am Salvaleon, kung hindi talaga naituro ‘yang part na ‘yan, eh di sabihin n’yo sa kanya.”. But she kept on saying “Unfair…unfair naman!”, while making other unnecessary and (for me) offensive gestures/ remarks. I just said nothing regarding that matter. Instead, I just told the same student to spit out the gum inside her mouth. “Huh? Wala akong chewing gum, Sir. “, she said in a sort of irritating tone. “’Yan o, ‘yang nginunguya mo…’yang nasa bibig mo. “, I replied. “Wala nga po akong chewing gum, mani po itong kinakain ko. “ , she said; and she opened her entire mouth just to show me and her classmates that it was peanuts that she’s been munching, not gum. I got offended and pissed with the manner she had answered my question. I took a deep breath and said “Alam n’yo class, ‘pag lalaki ok lang na medyo  magaspang ang ugali- lalaki kasi sila; pero ‘pag sa babae, nakakawalang poise, nakakawala ng breeding, nakakawala ng finesse.” That student sarcastically said “Oo nga, Sir!”, and one of her guy classmates shouted, “Tama na nga ‘yan. “. I just said, “Oo nga naman, tama na. Mag- exam na kayo. “

Just when I thought that the whole incident was over, the student handed me a note before leaving the room. It states that: February 28 is the most embarrassing day of her life, that she got very upset with the statement that I gave regarding “breeding” and “finesse”.  After reading the letter, I just put it inside my pocket. In other words, I didn’t take the said note seriously. I nonchalantly went down to the faculty room right after.  Much to my surprise, Miss Fe Zacarias (Students Affairs Officer) was already there looking for Miss Annie Lazaro (GE Head). Miss Lazaro was not around because it was already past her reporting time. So, Miss Zacarias asked me to come with her in the Students Affairs Office because of the event that happened. I joined her without any hesitations, thinking that the mediation would take no longer than fifteen minutes; that there would be no untoward scene inside that office.  Again, I got awestruck when I saw Jeamilyn Ramirez (that’s the only time that I had the chance to ask the name of that student) sobbing. Tears were coming out of her eyes profusely. I sat down adjacent to her, and opposite Ma’am Fe. I wanted to be calm and collected despite the steamy situation. To cut the very long story short, here are some of the things I, Miss Fe and Jeamilyn said:


Jeamilyn: Sir, kasi po nasaktan po ako sa sinbi n’yo kanina.

Myself: Sa’n? Sa sinabi ko tungkol sa breeding at finesse?


Jeamilyn: (crying) Opo, Sir. Napahiya po ako kanina sa harap ng mga classmates ko. Ako pa naman ‘yung nanay- nanayan nila dun. Married na po ako, apat na po ang anak ko. Nasaktan po ako kanina kasi  ,paano na po ako pakikinggan ng mga kaklase ko, ng mga anak ko kung maski ako hindi ko kayang disiplinahin ang sarili ko.


Myself: Ano bang isyu rito? Natapakan ba ang ego mo?Ano bang gusto mong gawin ko? Mag- public apology pa ako?

Jeamilyn: (still crying) Sir, ‘wag ka namang ganyan magsalita. Nasa harap na tayo ni Ma’am oh (Ms. Zacarias). Ako nanay na ako, sa palagay mo ba Sir, iisipin ko pang i- enroll ‘yung mga anak ko dito ka 'pag ganyan ang mga klaseng teacher dito. (referring to yours truly) Thirty years old na po ako, parang nakakahiya naman sa part ko na nangyari pa ‘yung ganun. Nanay ka na napapagalitan ka pa.

Miss Fe: Minsan Sir, kailangan din nating makinig sa mga nakatatanda sa atin. Hindi dahil sa mas mataas ang pinag- aralan natin eh mas marami na tayong alam. Di ba we gain wisdom as we age?

Myself: Alam ko naman po ‘yun Ma’am, pero hindi ko naman po intesyon na mamahiya. Sinabi ko po ‘yun dahil sinasabi ko naman talaga ‘yun sa lahat ng estudyante ko. Nakakahiya namang makita ng ibang tao na ‘yungmga students ng STI eh ang gagaslaw kumilos, lalo na ‘pag mga babae.

Jeamilyn: (still crying) Eh Sir, teacher ka, dapat alam mo at maingat ka sa mga sinasabi mo.


Miss Fe asked Jeamilyn to step out for while…


Miss Fe: Sir, ayoko na sanang makarating pa ito kay Ma’am Annie. Sana dito pa lang ma- settle na natin ito. If you want pwede ka ring mag- apologize dun sa estudyante para maayos na rin natin ‘yan.

Myself: Ay Ma’am, bago ako mag- sorry, dapat siya muna.

In all fairness  to Jeamilyn she was the first one who apologized; I also gave her my apologies for the words that I said if it had offended her feelings. She asked me to pray together, so we did. 


:l 

No comments: